Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Old Blue Chair

I am really excited today. I finally got my bedroom organized (all the toys that had made there way in, have now found homes in different parts of the house). I am really excited because I made myself a prayer corner. I have read books on prayer and heard speakers on prayer that all talk about how you need to have a prayer room. A place of sanctuary that you can go to and pray, read your Bible and reflect. I have never had a spot like this in my house. After I got my room all put together I realized that I really needed a comfy chair to sit in, if this room was going to be my little sanctuary. And then I thought, "What about the Blue Chair!"

Chad and I got this blue glider rocker as a wedding gift. This chair has never really had a home. It has been moved so many times. It has moved with us on 4 different occasions. It has been in baby's rooms, in living rooms, in the basement. It has been written on, threw up on, jumped on and rocked so hard by the girls that I can't believe it hasn't fallen apart.

What a better chair for me to sit in, to pray. I rocked each of my little ones to sleep in this chair, I spent a lot of hours being still in that chair hoping that my little ones would stay asleep when I stood up to place them in their cribs. Now I can be still in this chair and pray for those same little girls that are growing up way to fast. Just as this chair was a gift for my marriage, I can pray for the gift of marriage and the amazing husband that God placed in my life.

I tell my girls that it doesn't matter where you pray, you can pray anywhere and you can pray for anything. You can pray on your knees, you can pray standing up with your arms raised. God doesn't care. So why is it so important for me to have this Blue Chair in the corner of my room?

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:6

There are many times and places for prayer, but God likes nothing better than us devoting quiet time to read, pray and reflect in His presence. Many times I have stopped in the middle of the chaos in my house to shoot a few arrows to heaven. But with all the noise that is around me I am not taking time to listen. Now I can come into my bedroom, shut the door, sit in my old blue chair and pray.

No comments: