Thursday, August 20, 2009

Slow and Steady

I should have reserved my "Running on Empty" title for today's post. It would really fit in well with the experience I had yesterday. Last fall I ran in a half marathon. Finally after a lot of sedentary years I finally got moving. I started to eat healthy and exercise regularly.

Then in December when I found the lump in my breast I quit exercising. I had my surgery to remove it and everything turned out o'kay. However, the exercising and eating healthy stopped. It has been almost nine months and I could not get myself motivated to start over. I keep telling myself I am going to run the 1/2 marathon again in October, but I have not even started training.

Well, last night I laced up my running shoes, grabbed my Ipod and started to run. I told myself that I had to run at least one mile before I walked. (I know for you runners out there. . .that doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, but for me it was huge). I was listening to praise music and trying to meditate on it while I ran.

I realized that listening to praise music while running can be dangerous. At one point I almost ran into the ditch because I shut my eyes and was worshiping God.

I knew exactly how far I needed to run to hit a little over a mile. There was a stop sign straight in front of me. I just had to get to it and then I could walk. I really wanted to stop running, but I didn't. Every time I wanted to stop I would listen to the words on my Ipod. "I am weak but You are strong" and "Lord with You there's nothing I cannot do". I kept running.

I didn't stop until I got to the stop sign. Of course the next song on my playlist was "Praise the King" by Cindy Morgan. And believe me I was praising God for getting me to that stop sign.



This post may sound really silly to you. I know it was only one mile of running. (By the way I did still have to get back home so I did go over 2 miles) But to me, it was starting over. It was getting through that first run. It was a run to praise God that the surgery that stopped my running ended up being nothing.

God is so good. There really is nothing that we cannot do without Him.

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace. Acts 20:24



9 comments:

Amy said...

Running 1 mile is a BIG deal to me, so CONGRATS! I also really needed this post today.
Blessings,
Amy

Unknown said...

I am impressed:) I think the hardest thing about running is starting--that's where the mind really is the battlefield! Your blogs are an inspiration to me...you are so gifted. Keep it up! Love you!!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Well Amy I certainly couldn't run 1 mile very easily at all! Good on you! Listening to praise music sounds like a good idea while exercising!
Love Collette xxx

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Lovely post! Keep your eyes open ;)

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

I used to run many years ago and compeltely agree that a mile is a BIG DEAL. So is the very first step of that mile! Whoo Hoo. Good for you!

Watch out for those ditches :)

Anonymous said...

How real. This is more inspiring than if you'd written about logging 10 miles nonstop, Amy. I love the way you weave in the music you were listening to--and admitting your near-wipeout while worshiping.

When I jog, I pray. And when I get to praying about something really heavy, I will often find that I've slowed to a walk. So perhaps I should switch to worshiping instead of praying--it sounds like it would keep me going at a brisker pace!

Sarah said...

So... what's your running play list of praise songs? I need to go make one!

Janet said...

I have trouble running one minute, let alone one mile! I'm impressed. Keep up your efforts.

Amandasaurus said...

oh goodness. Me and running are not friends. Good thing you had encouragement!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!