Tuesday, April 7, 2009

You are kinda weak

The other day I was talking to my middle daughter about T-Ball. She informed me that she wanted her dad to coach her team, not me. I asked her why, (sometimes I think I maybe shouldn't ask for explanations), she said, "because you are kinda weak."

Interesting observation for a six year old. She is probably remembering our little family of five softball game last summer. My hubby was pitching to me and my oldest daughter was playing catcher. It had been a long time since I had swung a bat. I missed a few times (or a lot of times). Without hesitation my little catcher hollers at her dad, "get the tee". (That is what they say when one of their little buddies keeps missing the ball in t-ball.)

I have spent my entire day today thinking about God's strength. I am focusing on one characteristic of God each day and today I am focusing on His strength. As my middle child pointed out, "I am kinda weak". In fact, "I am really weak." There are many days that without the strength I get from God, I would fall apart. There are many days that I don't rely on the strength I could get from God and I do fall apart.

We are not meant to get through life with our own strength. There are so many scriptures that reaffirm this to us. This morning I meditated on Psalm 28:7-9. "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one. Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever."

He is not just my strength. He is strength for all "of his people". It is okay to recognize we are weak because it brings us much closer to realizing that we need God to give us strength. Whatever you are struggling with today, whatever your weakness is today, turn to God and He will give you the strength that you need.

I had a hymn rolling around in my head tonight and I had to call me mom to figure out which one it was. I just kept singing the following line, "I am weak, but though art strong". She had just been playing, Just a Closer Walk With Thee on her piano before I called. God is so good.

I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk let me walk close to Thee

Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord let it be

1 comment:

Darla said...

I am so proud of you Amy for your blog-it has really helped me open my eyes to many things-I need to realize that I need to stop trying to take hold of the wheel and let God lead the way.