Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Good Cry

You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. Psalm 56:7 (NLT)

Do you ever feel like you need a good cry? In my mind crying doesn't show weakness. In my mind crying is a form of cleansing. Every once in awhile I just need a good cry. In Bible Study today this scripture was brought to my attention. The New Living Translation is so touching to me. God collects my tears in a bottle and records each of my hurts.

This scripture overwhelms me with comfort and love. Reading it almost brings me to tears. It makes me think of times as a teenager when my mom would sit by my side and I would bawl my eyes out. I would cry so hard that I couldn't breathe and she was always there to comfort me. I don't even like to think back on some of my hurts. However, I read this scripture and I know that every tear I have cried over big things and small things, God has bottled up and He feels all of my pain.

I think of some of the movies I love that make me cry every time I watch them. Most of them are always a love story. I love to get lost in their stories. It is fun to forget the realities of my life and live through the characters on the screen. The knight in shining armor that rescues his damsel in distress.

I have been reflecting a lot on my life lately. Something that I have been thinking a lot about is that I have a story, too. When I stop and look at the story of my life it brings me to tears. I feel blessed beyond measure. Not because life has always been easy. Believe me, God has a pretty big bottle for all of my tears.

My tears today are tears of joy. Joy in knowing that Jesus Christ gave His life to save mine. Talk about a love story. . .there is none greater. What is so amazing is that this is not my love story alone. I am not the only one that gets to experience this love story. It is your story, too.

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:10-12

No comments: