Saturday, March 21, 2009

Home

Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Corinthians 5:1

I am sitting at my mom and dad's house and feeling more relaxed than I have felt in months. There is just something about being here that makes me breathe easier and put all of stresses of life to the back of my mind.

I was born and raised in the same house. I was surrounded by friends of all ages, there was a swimming pool across the street and I could look out the picture window and see the school park, skating rink and softball fields. But things change, people move and people build houses. As I was driving down my old street I was overcome by a little sadness. I think only one family still lives in the same place on this street from my childhood. Every other family has moved to the lake, or built houses on a different street, or moved out of town completely. The swimming pool and skating rink are long gone and houses stand in the way of my old view.

I am extremely thankful that my mom and dad are still here and nothing has changed. It will always be home. When I walk through the door, I can sigh, take a deep breath and know that everything will always be okay. I know that someday I may not have this home to come to and that will be sad. I pray that my children will always consider the home we have for them to be a place of peace and safety like this home is for me.

I know that things will continue to change in my lifetime. People will continue to move, buildings will continue to be built, people get sick, lives get torn apart. I could be right in the middle of some or all of these things.

However, I still have peace. And my peace comes from knowing that there is place far greater for me and for you. A place that will never change and never be destroyed. Some day I will walk through a different door and I will be home. I will sigh and take a deep breath and know that everything will be okay.

The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen. 2 Timothy 4:18

No comments: