Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Only One Who is Good

"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." Matthew 18:17

In the past when I have read the Matthew 18:16-29 I have thought about it in the context of money. The sad Rich Young Man that would not give up his wealth to follow Jesus.

I have often thought about the blessings that we have received from God and reminded myself of verse 23-24.

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Not that we are rich, but compared to many countries, many of us in the United States are very wealthy.

I have often thought, could I go and sell everything I had and follow Jesus. I tell myself that of course I could, because I know the end of the story. I know who Jesus is, I know that there is something far greater than the treasures I have on earth.

However, when I was reading this today, I was thinking about my life. If Jesus was standing in front of me today, what would he ask me to give up to follow him?

What consumes my life that I put before Him? I am focusing on this question today. I am praying that He will reveal it to me.

If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:3

3 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

My friend and I just had this exact same discussion on the phone yesterday. Sadly, we both admitted we hadn't spent chunks of time with God lately b/c we were afraid He'd ask us to give up the very thing our hearts are set on. I think He's wanting me to draw close and this post is a reminder of that.
Thank you.
~ Wendy

kellyjae said...

Thank you for this, Amy. It gives me a lot to think and to pray about. What you wrote about is very challenging (and convicting), but also a blessing to me. Isn't is good that God is still working on us? Often it is not easy, but it is still so good!!

Hope you are having a good day.

Love,
Kelly

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

This is so honest! I pray that God reveals what He wants to you.
Love Collette xxx