Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Called to be a Mother

This morning I was envious that my husband got to go to work. Little one was in a mood. Either her or I needed to go back to bed and she wouldn't and I couldn't.

She is in her swimsuit already. . .not sure where she thinks she is going to go? At least she is smiling now, until she realizes there is no water to swim in.

I asked my husband if God was testing my patience this morning. I am really trying hard to pass the test.

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a webinar through A Woman Inspired. The title of the conference was "Step Out Into Ministry". The speakers were Lisa McKay from apreacherswife.com and Kristen Schiffman the founder and editor-in-chief of Exemplify Online & Magazine.

Both of these women were amazing speakers. The words they spoke were words that I needed to hear. I will share more on what Lisa said later. Today I am going to share a little bit about what Kristen said.

The title of her presentation was "No Stage No Lights - Doing the Archippus Thing". She built her presentation off of this scripture from Colossians.

Tell Archippus: "See to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord." Colossians 4:17

She talked a lot about how we as moms are called to minister in our homes. She told stories of how both her mom and dad impacted her spiritual life at home. "No Lights and No Stage" were necessary to encourage her in Christ.

So this morning as my 3 year old is testing my patience and I am holding my tongue. I am reminded of the words that she presented last night. "Ministry without a stage and lights is the ministry that has the most impact."

I am called to be a mother. On the good days and on the bad days. On the days that are filled with fun and on the days that test my patience. I have the opportunity to raise my children in a home that is built on Jesus. I have the opportunity to lead a life that impacts my children's friends and every person that walks through my door.

I do desire some day to speak on a stage and share my stories. However, I know that is a different season and a different time. Right now I have a very important job. One that only I can do. I can pull my children onto my lap and tell them all about Jesus and the love He has for them and for everyone.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

So true, so true.....just pick her up and love as Jesus does to us.

Have a great day.

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

That sounds like such a great webinar you listened to!
Love Collette xxx

Unknown said...

What a great reminder. I've had to remind myself of that many times. We are so fortunate to be able to be home with our girls and raise them - especially in a world where a lot of moms have to work. Thanks for a great post. :)

Courtney @ One Fine Wire said...

Hey girl, just found you on SITS. Cute blog!

My personal blog:
www.finewire.blogspot.com

If you are ever interested in a new blog makeover, I'd love to work with you!

www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful day!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I'm often reminded by the Lord that He has already placed me in a mission field: At home with my girls.

Blessings to you as you minister to your little one.

I appreciate your honesty here ...

Kristen said...

Amy,

I cannot even tell you how excited it makes me to know that the Lord ministered to you the other night! It was a blast getting to speak to the women who joined my session.

No one has impacted my life more than my parents - who stuck to it and saw to it on my behalf. Your daughter will "arise and call you blessed". I know it.

Much love,
Kristen
exemplifyonline.com