Friday, September 11, 2009

Running with God

I really want to love to run.

When I was in High School the only sport I participated in, (I was a cheerleader and they didn't consider that a sport in my hometown), was track. I was a runner. But I didn't really enjoy to run.

I loved the feeling of winning, but I didn't enjoy the training it took to win the race. In college I tried to run my freshman year, but the hours of training it took to run collegiately, well, I just didn't have the desire to do it.

Now as a mom who has gone through three pregnancies, I have a desire to get fit. And I realize that one of the best ways to get fit, (besides giving up my beloved chocolate), is to run. The desire is in my heart to do it, but it has not been easy.

To be honest with you the best part of the gym so far is the break that I get from being at home. I love to lace up my shoes, turn up the volume on my ipod and head out the door. But, it is a mental game for me and all kinds of things are running through my mind, "You are so out of shape, you can't do this, I hate running. . ." Sometimes I am defeated before I get started.

Of course today when I picked up My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers had written exactly what I needed to hear.

He wasn't talking about running, but he had one statement that brought me to writing this post. He said, "We have to go the 'second mile' with God. Some of us get played out in the first ten yards, because God compels us to go where we cannot see the way. . ."

I think that God is pushing and stretching me right now. Not just physically, (right now I am so sore it hurts to walk up the stairs), but mentally and emotionally. I am running a race and although I cannot see the finish line, I know where it is at and I know who will be waiting for me there when I finish my race.

When I am running and trying hard to love doing it. . .it is only God that seems to get me through the second mile.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:25-27

And the Winner of Ann Kroeker's Book Not So Fast goes to #9. (I haven't figured out how to copy the random.org button here yet, but that is what I used to pick the winner). #9 Commenter was. . .
Not Your Aunt B said...
We were just talking about this at the church with some other moms. Sounds like a great read at a perfect time! Maybe I outta take the hint from up above.


I will email you Bea to get your address and personalization info. Congrats!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Girl, you were an awesome runner. I always thought you loved it -- it came so naturally to you. But I completely relate to the mental thoughts while running...mine are more like, "I'm gonna die... I'm gonna die... I can't breathe!"

Great thoughts this morning. :)

Elyse said...

God is growing me right now too. Thank you for this post. Keep up the good work!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I'm so glad you left a message. You must have changed your account because I could never find you before. I clicked on follow and look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheri

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

I love that scripture you quoted at the end of your post!
Love Collette xxxx

Unknown said...

I don't know how everyone else does it but a while back I downloaded a program (from downloads.com) called PhotoScape. It has an option for screen capture. That's how I insert stuff from Random.org but I'm sure there's other ways to do it--just look up screen capture!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Hi Amy, I think you stopped by my blog back in July and commented about fried zucchini blossoms. I'm sorry that it took me so long to get back and visit your blog. It is SO Inspirational and I'm going to be your newest followers of your posts. I hope you stop by again for some food recipes for your tummy....your posts are food for the soul!! Blessings, Roz (aka Bella)

Anonymous said...

Love your thoughts about running!

And congratulations to Bea--I hope she enjoys Not So Fast. Thanks for letting me be part of your and your readers' world for a few posts.