Friday, January 15, 2010

Firm Foundation

We have been battling a bought of stomach flu in our house. My oldest and youngest daughters both had rough nights two nights ago. Last night was calm again so for that I am very thankful.

My youngest slept in bed with me the night she was so sick throwing up every hour. After one of our trips to the bathroom we were laying in bed and I was holding her hand. She said in her sweet little voice, "Mommy, will you pray for me?"

This morning I spent my quiet time looking up all of the passages in my NIV Bible with the word foundation. My husband and I really want to raise our girls in Christ. One of the things we think about is that we want it to be their own faith. We don't want them to grow up relying on our faith alone.

They are growing up in the church. They are learning the Bible stories. They are memorizing scripture. They will be able to talk the talk, but will they walk the walk? Will they grow up to follow Christ?

Isaiah 28:16 talks about how the Sovereign Lord laid a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation. My Bible says, The cornerstone is the Messiah, the foundation on whom we build our lives.

We hope that we are building our family on the solid foundation of Jesus Christ. I know that it takes more than taking them to church on Sunday mornings and praying with them at bed every night. They can grow up in the church, they can go through the motions of "religion", but still be lost.

As a family, we want our faith to be real. We want to live our faith every single day. I will be honest with you. It is not easy. We struggle with this as adults and we are trying to be examples for our girls. However, I think it makes our faith more real if they see the struggles, too. We don't want them to grow up thinking that being a Christian means being perfect. We just pray that we may provide them a firm foundation and they will build upon it throughout their lives.

By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 3:10-11

2 comments:

jenn said...

I hope the girls are feeling better and you stay well!

It is so hard sometimes to keep kids grounded and on the right path. Especially when there are outside influences who are far from any sort of path. My oldest son has experienced this far too many times--especially now he is in middle school. Lots of prayer and constant communication!

Sounds like your family is doing great!

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

Amy - it seems to me that you are the perfect example of faith in your family. You know your kids will live as you model, not as you simply tell them - and that is exactly what you are doing!