Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Living Life to the Fullest

Last year on this day I was going in for surgery to remove a lump from my breast. It was scary. I had no idea what the outcome would be. In the course of a few weeks I had found the lump, had a mammogram, needle biopsy and surgery. I didn't want to wait, I just had to know. We were going on vacation three days later and I wanted to be able to go and have the surgery behind me.

A few days later when I was sitting on the beach in Hawaii I received the call. The lump was not cancer. I was relieved, it was over. I was praising God for the work that He had done.

On Sunday I was sitting in church and our Pastor spoke on "Living Life to the Fullest". It spoke volumes to me. I feel like I do live life to the fullest, but am I living it to the full as God intends me to?

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

Pastor listed many reasons that make us think we are living a full life:
*Longevity
*Progeny (family)
*Accomplishments
*Acquaintances
*Influence
*Acquisition
*Experiences
*Character

Then he listed what it really takes define a full & meaningful life:
*Relationships
*Spiritual Well-Being
*Purpose and Meaning in and for life
*True Contentment

I am forging ahead in 2010 focusing on the above four things.

I am blessed with so many good relationships with family and friends. It is my goal this year to really focus on making those relationships even better.

Every day I need to begin the day with my Heavenly Father. He is the one that gives me strength.

I believe God has a plan for my life and a purpose. In 2010 I hope to continue to use the gifts he has blessed me with to touch other's lives for His kingdom.

Looking back, the life I am living today is not at all the life that I had planned. However, it is so much better than I could have ever imagined. God's plan for my life offers me true contentment. It is when I go my own way that I start to stumble.

Happy New Year to Everyone! I pray that 2010 leads you closer to Christ.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad that things went well for you. I love your Pastor's list of what really defines a full & meaningful life. I'm going to copy it and put in around my house to remind me of what they really are.

Elyse said...

I completely agree with your pastor's four things; they are really all that matters. May you grow in every area this year!!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

These things are so simple and yet we forget sometimes in the busyness of our lives that these are the things that matter. It's hard to remember those things while doing dishes and laundry!

Great post. Happy New Year!