Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Good Soil

It is planting season. All the farmers in the Midwest are busy in the fields and the rest of us are busy planting flowers and gardens. Our wild backyard bunnies have taken care of all of my flowers that I planted in the ground, but my containers are safe, so far.

This weekend when I was doing my quiet time in the camper I went to the parables in Matthew. I decided to read the Parable of the Four Soils in Matthew 13:1-23. After I read it and reflected on it, I started to journal. I would love to say that right now I am a seed that fell on good soil.

"But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown." Matthew 13:23

However, my mind kept wandering to Matthew 13:22, "The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful."

Last night I picked up my copy of Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Once again, I think God is trying to get a point across to me because what did I read about, the Parable of the Four Soils! Chan says, "Do not assume you are good soil". Okay God, I hear you.

I guess I have some work to do. . .how about you? Another statement Chan makes is in the form of a question. I am still mulling on it. I will leave it for you to think about, too. He says, "Has your relationship with God actually changed the way you live?"

No comments: