Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My focus for this crazy Wednesday

". . . Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:7-11

I read this scripture yesterday morning. Obviously I did not take enough time to really read it and let it soak in. I often read scriptures that really speak to my soul, but I do not take the time to apply them to my life. If I could master this scripture alone, my life would be so different.

This scripture is full of powerful wisdom, so I am not going to try to fit it all into one blog post. As I take the time to break it down for my life, I am going to share my observations with you.

". . . therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray."

Have you ever tried to pray when you don't have a clear mind? I just tried to do this at 6:30 this morning. It didn't work. I was thinking about the day I had yesterday, the day ahead today and a million other things. I couldn't even finish a sentence before my mind was wandering. Then about 5 minutes into my quiet time, my youngest woke up and was ready to start the day.

There is definitely a reason we need to be clear minded when we go to the Lord in prayer. I wish that I was able to just sit and pour my heart out to God, but I get easily distracted, no matter what time of day it is. I often will journal my prayers, it keeps me focused and I have a much more personal time with God.

Then, there is self-control. If I had to list anything that I struggled with, self-control would be on the top of my list. I hope that it is the season of life that I am currently in. I have been a stay-at-home mom for almost three years, but I still struggle some days with being home 24/7. I was used to having to fulfill the demands of my job all day long and be a mom at night. It is quite different to fulfill the demands of a three, six and eight year old.

So as I start another day, I am going to be focused on these two things. Being clear minded and self-controlled and hopefully later today I can even get some quiet time to pray. For now, I need to go outside with my little one to see the bunnies and birds in our backyard. She is begging me to "can we please go outside and watch the big fat bunny." It is only 9:00 and I am still in my pajamas, but how can I resist?

No comments: