Friday, May 8, 2009

I Witness

The pastor at my church has been preaching on witnessing the past few weeks. I have really enjoyed studying the scripture and the Bible stories that he has brought into his message. Along with gaining some wisdom on the subject, I have been a little convicted.

At Easter, my mother-in-law told me that she thought I had the gift to witness. Unfortunately, I think it is really easy for me to talk to her family about my relationship with Christ because they are Christians. However, out in the world, it is not as easy.

Since I am a stay-at-home mom, I don't have coworkers to witness to, but yesterday I realized that I should not just think about witnessing to my friends and family. I have another audience that I can have a big impact on.

After school yesterday, I had a houseful. I babysat for a girlfriend's boys and then after school my girls each had a friend over, plus the neighbor's granddaughter was over to play. At one time I had eleven kids in my house. I had all of them, but the baby, sitting around the table eating fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookies and kool-aid. As I had them running in and out of the house, and in and out of the house, I could have responded in one of two ways. With frustration, or with love.

I chose love. They were having so much fun chasing the baby bunnies in our backyard, trying to catch them & thinking I didn't realize what they were doing. Just like I want my friends to feel like my door is always open, I also want my kids' friends to feel that way, as well.

One day the girls had a friend over. We sat down to eat supper and Chad prayed for our food. In his prayer, he thanked God for the friendship with this friend. After he finished his prayer she said, "Did you just make that prayer up?" He said, "Yes". She said, "I thought so because you said my name and I didn't think their was a prayer like that." It gave my husband the opportunity to tell her about prayer and how we can pray about anything and everything. He had an open door to witness, and he took it.

I know with summer right around the corner, my house will soon be full of kids. I need to remember that I have a golden opportunity to be an example for these kids. To make them feel loved every time they walk through the doors of our home. And to teach them that Jesus is real and He loves them even more than I do.

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8

No comments: