Thursday, May 14, 2009

In a funk

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sin." 1 Peter 4:8

I am in a funk. My poor family has had to deal with it. . . I haven't been very pleasant the last couple of weeks. I am lucky that love covers a multitude of sins and I am really lucky that I have people in my life that love me deeply. Because this morning I think everyone wanted me to go back to bed and start the day over.

I told my husband at breakfast, "I don't know what is wrong with me, I am just really angry." He didn't argue with me, he knows that I am in a funk. After I realized that I was not having a very good start for the day, I took a deep breath and started over. Unfortunately for the majority of my family they were already off to school and work for the day so they didn't see my change in mood.

My youngest wanted me to color with her so I decided to grab my Prayer Journal and color. I grabbed my scripture cards that I am trying to memorize and I started to draw the scripture images and color them in. Interestingly enough, the first scripture I prayed was Psalm 56:7, "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book."


As I colored my anger started to melt. As I started to pray these scriptures and focus on what they really said, I felt a little bit of peace. After I finished my quiet time I decided that it was time to quit putting off working out. I finally convinced my little one that she could miss one cartoon while I got in a little exercise. It felt so good to sweat a little bit.

The anger I felt when I woke up had completely disappeared. I know what I need to get myself out of the funk. Unfortunately sometimes I let myself feel sorry for myself instead of just taking the time to pray through it.

A scripture that I need to attach to my bathroom mirror is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Be joyful always; pray continually: give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

I guess I don't have any excuses to act the way I did when I got out of bed this morning. I am very blessed that my family loves me deeply.

No comments: