Friday, July 2, 2010

Sharing Our Freedom In Christ

About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose. The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted, "Don't harm yourself! We are all here!"

The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole family. Acts 16:25-34

Evangelism has never been easy for me. I love the Lord, but it is not always easy for me to share that with others. It is so much easier for me to write the words of my heart than to speak them.

I think one of the things that I have struggled with is how to explain to others that although they will be given the gift of eternal life, that does not mean that life will become easy. It does not mean that they will not struggle, that loved ones won't get sick, or that they will be showered with "earthly blessings".

In fact, when they become believers, they will face many trials, they will have to stand firm in their faith at times when the world continually knocks them down.

As I was thinking about the freedom we receive in Christ I thought about this Bible Story of Paul and Silas in Prison. They were beaten without a trial and put into prison for commanding a demon to come out of a woman.

As they sang praises to God while they were chained in prison, in the midst of their persecution, an earthquake shakes the prisons foundations and sets all of the prisoners free. They do not flee, but instead stay to tell the jailer about Christ.

Paul and Silas were not focusing on their persecution. They were focusing on saving others from suffering eternally. The trials we face on this earth are minor when we focus on the treasures we will receive in heaven.

Do you struggle with sharing the Freedom we receive in Christ with others? Do you have a story to share on spreading the Good News of the Gospel? Let me know, I would love to feature your story this month.

2 comments:

Alaina Frederick of Dinker and Giggles said...

I never know what to say, how to say it, and more importantly WHEN to say something. Number one I think that I don't have enough knowledge nor can I pull the perfect quote from the Bible when asked. So instead of saying anything (most likely the wrong thing) I choose to say nothing.

I will however write about things in our life - but if I was ever questioned on the street I'd be a total freezer pop!

Alaina
{my heart felt} Life

Anonymous said...

amy! this is something dear to my heart as well. i was never good at this ... still aren't.

but ... i find as i draw closer to the Lord in a real relationship, the words come easier. i WANT to share the good news! i WANT them to know my friend the way i know my friend.

for me, it's been a growing process and, as always ... i continue to grow.